When Love Hurts (Hebrews 12:4-13)
Complete in Jesus | When Love Hurts
May 29, 2022
1. Read Hebrews 12:4-6. Why does God discipline His children? What is the purpose, and what does this teach us about the nature of discipline?
2. In what ways might God discipline us? If we suffer trials or hardships, does that always mean we are being disciplined? How can you discern whether a specific circumstance is discipline or not?
3. Describe in your own words the difference between discipline and punishment. Identify someone in the Bible who was punished because of God’s judgment, and compare the situation with someone who experienced the Lord’s loving discipline. What differences did you find?
4. Read Hebrews 12:7-11. What does this passage teach about the father/son relationship? What does this teach us about the heart of God?
5. How should we respond to discipline?
6. Since fathers discipline according to what they think is “best,” how can a father have true discernment about this issue?
7. Read Hebrews 12:12-13. What is the ultimate goal in receiving the Lord’s discipline? Give a practical example of what that might look like/has looked like in your life.
8. What applications does this passage have for parents? How about for children? For you as a Christ-follower?
*Some questions adopted and revised from studyandobey.com